Swatch Launches 'generation 27'
Introducing the number 27...
Cities are filled with magical stories and myths that sweep like fevers through the streets. Inspired by such legends, Swatch has created a tribute to the power of youth and the urban imagination: GENERATION 27. With nothing but the number 27 on the dial, this new Swatch Gent is what you make of it.
Why 27? It’s a versatile number. To begin with, Street legend speaks of an exclusive «27 Club» whose rock-star members all passed away at the age of 27. Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse are among the most famous…
27 recalls also the notion of the 27-hour day—the number of hours it takes a man to do what a women can do in 24 (women are definitely more productive). The idea comes from a popular Italian blog known as The 27th Hour.
And here are some other little-known, inspiring facts about the number 27 :
- There are 27 bones in the human hand
- Switzerland has 26 official Cantons, plus the “27th Canton”—Swatch, the place where everybody and every mind are welcome!
- France has 101 Départements, of which number 27 is named “Eure”, closely related (by sound) to l’heure—the hour, the time of day …
- 27 is the perfect cube: 33 = 3 x 3 x 3 = 27!
- 27 cubed (27³) = 19,683. Add up these numbers and you get (1+9+6+8+3 =) … 27!
- Article 27 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights speaks from the heart of Swatch: “Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.”
- Giuseppe Verdi has composed 27 operas
- In the game of bingo, the number 27 is known as the ‘Gateway to Heaven’
To locate your nearest Swatch store, please visit http://bit.ly/18KoZ1l