A major player in watchmaking history since the 19th century, in 2013 Jaeger-LeCoultre is celebrating 180 years of continuous development around its founder’s original workshop. This anniversary will be commemorated by the introduction of some exceptional timepieces, as well as the holding of exclusive exhibitions and events around the world. The adventure began in 1833 when self-taught watchmaker Antoine LeCoultre set up his own workshop after inventing a pinion-cutting machine. This invention was to be followed by dozens of others, as well as hundreds of patents, each of which contributed to forging the international reputation of Swiss watchmaking. The small workshops grew so fast that it was soon nicknamed the “Grande Maison” in the Vallée de Joux. By 1888, the Manufacture already employed around 500 watchmakers, technicians and artists. Over the past 180 years, Jaeger-LeCoultre has created and produced over 1,200 different calibres and filed more than 400 patents. The Grande Maison has a number of world firsts to its credit, along with superlative achievements and legendary watches such as the Reverso, the Duoplan, the Memovox, the Polaris, the Gyrotourbillon 1 and 2, the Duomètre line, as well as the perpetual Atmos clock. Today, over 1000 people work within the Manufacture and master all the forms of expertise required to make this brand one of the most inventive in the watch industry.